Sonic took the tangy goodness of their Honey-Mustard dipping sauce and blended it with their savory-sweet BBQ sauce to create their signature sauce.
Originally introduced as a dipping sauce for chicken nuggets, Sonic Signature sauce quickly became popular for many of Sonic’s signature dishes.
The two types of mustard give the sauce an intense flavor with a delicious Dijon finish.
While the barbecue sauce gives Sonic Signature sauce the perfect smokey savoriness, it’s the apple cider vinegar that gives this tasty sauce a nice tang that will wake up your taste buds.
This Sonic Signature sauce recipe has all the great flavor as the original and is super easy to make at home.
In addition, you won’t need any unique ingredients or special equipment.
But make sure you make enough. After just one taste, you’ll want to add this great-tasting sauce to all your favorite dishes.
Read on for a delicious Sonic Signature sauce you can have ready in minutes.
- 1 What Do You Need To Make Sonic Signature Sauce
- 2 How To Make Sonic Signature Sauce
- 3 Other Things To Consider When Making Sonic Signature Sauce
- 4 Sonic Signature Sauce Recipe
What Do You Need To Make Sonic Signature Sauce
I recommend using homemade mayonnaise for a richer, creamier flavor, but you can use your favorite store-bought brand.
However, I don’t recommend Miracle Whip for this recipe as it significantly changes the taste of the dipping sauce.
Intensifies the flavor. You can substitute garlic powder.
However, make sure you don’t use garlic salt, which will overpower your sauce.
Gives the sauce sweetness and balances the barbecue and vinegar flavors.
You can substitute molasses instead of honey if you prefer a deeper flavor.
Adds a sweet, savory flavor.
Make your own or use your favorite store-bought brand.
I prefer Sweet Baby Rays or Hunts Traditional in my Sonic Signature sauce, but any will do.
The mustard gives your dipping sauce that authentic Sonic Signature sauce tang and a nice Dijon finish.
Adds another dimension of tanginess.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Gives the sauce its tangy vinegar flavor.
Fresh Lemon Juice
If at all possible, use fresh lemons.
However, you can use one tablespoon of bottled lemon juice if you don’t have access to fresh lemons.
Salt and Black Pepper
I recommend using coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Salt helps unlock the other flavors, but be sure you taste it, so you don’t over-season your sauce.
- Cutting board
- Knife or garlic press
- Medium non-reactive mixing bowl
- Whisk or spoon
How To Make Sonic Signature Sauce
Step One: First, peel and finely mince the fresh garlic.
Step Two: Next, add all the ingredients to the mixing bowl and whisk well.
Step Three: Taste your sauce, adjust any of the ingredients, and season with salt and pepper.
Step Four: Serve immediately or chill in the fridge for an hour.
Other Things To Consider When Making Sonic Signature Sauce
It’s Easy to Customize Your Sonic Signature Sauce Recipe
This recipe makes an authentic tasting Sonic Signature sauce. And while that is enough for some, there’s always room for improvement.
For example, add a teaspoon of smoked paprika or a few drops of liquid smoke to give your sauce a delicious smokey flavor.
Or, add another pinch (or two) of ground cayenne pepper or a teaspoon of your favorite hot sauce for a spicier sauce.
Try different mustards or vinegar to change up the tang.
Blend in fresh orange juice or add some lemon zest for more citrus flavor.
Have fun and play around with the recipe. Who knows? You might like your version better than the original.
What Can I Eat With Sonic Signature Sauce
Sonic Signature sauce debuted as a dipping sauce for chicken tenders.
But this honey mustard-barbecue sauce tastes so good you’ll be looking for ways to use it more often.
So here are some ideas to get you started.
- Makes a great dipping sauce for fried mozzarella.
- Use it instead of ketchup on burgers and hot dogs.
- Thin it with olive oil and use it to marinate chicken and steak.
- Add to your favorite sandwich for a burst of flavor.
- A tasty dipping sauce for fries or potato wedges.
- Drizzle it over steaks, seafood, and chicken.
- And a personal favorite – giant pretzels. The honey mustard-barbecue flavor goes great with the saltiness of the pretzel.
Make More Than You Need
With so many uses, you’ll want to ensure you always have some on hand.
So go ahead and double up the recipe.
Sonic Signature sauce stays fresh in the fridge for up to two weeks.
But, like all mayonnaise-based sauces, I wouldn’t recommend freezing it.
- 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 1 clove of fresh garlic, peeled and finely minced
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 2 tablespoons of your favorite barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon of prepared yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- Juice from ½ of a lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and finely mince the fresh garlic.
- Add the mayonnaise, minced garlic, honey, barbecue sauce, Dijon mustard, yellow mustard, apple cider vinegar, and lemon juice to the medium mixing bowl.
- Using your whisk, blend until all the ingredients are incorporated together.
- Taste your sauce and adjust any of the ingredients.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately or allow to chill in the fridge for one hour.
- Add a pinch of ground cayenne pepper or a teaspoon of your favorite hot sauce for a spicier sauce.
- Mix in a teaspoon of smoked paprika or a few drops of liquid smoke for a smokier Sonic Signature sauce.
- For more intense flavor, add a teaspoon of your favorite bourbon. Yum!
- To save time, you can substitute garlic powder for fresh garlic.
- Blend in some fresh orange juice or pineapple juice to give your sauce a citrus flavor that goes great with grilled chicken.
- Add some lemon zest to give it some zing.
- Thin the sauce with olive oil to make a delicious marinade for steak and chicken.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 100Total Fat: 6gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 290mgNet Carbohydrates: 10gSugar: 10gProtein: 0g
Other Sonic guides you may want to check out:
Hello, I’m Jeremy, a sauce enthusiast and taste trailblazer! My endless pursuit of new flavors has led me on a journey to master sauce making at home, along with try out a range of exciting brands and sauce offerings. Now I share my recipes, tips and recommendations on WeWantTheSauce to help fellow foodies find the perfect sauces.