Do you like your food with some kick?
Then you’ll love this KFC Zinger Sauce recipe.
But what is zinger sauce, you ask?
KFC Zinger sauce is a creamy and spicy sauce served on the KFC Zinger Burger. It’s full of flavor with a hint of tang but isn’t too hot.
KFC describes it as a “spine-tingling Zing.”
All I can say is from the first bite, I was hooked and set out to recreate this delicious sauce.
First stop, the counter where I asked for a couple of packets to take with me so I could deconstruct the sauce at home.
No go – KFC Zinger sauce doesn’t come in packets.
“OK, then. Can I buy a bottle?”
“Nope, no bottles either.”
OK. Off to the KFC website, but nothing there.
And when I contacted KFC customer service, they responded that they couldn’t share the ingredients with me as the recipe is a closely-guarded secret.
And we know how the Colonel loves his secrets. People have been trying to discover his eleven secret herbs and spices for decades.
I did find a couple of other copycat recipes through Google. But when I made them, they didn’t have quite the same taste.
This was going to be a lot tougher than I first expected, but I was up for the challenge.
So after several trips to KFC and a lot of Zinger Burgers (not that I’m complaining), I finally put together a delicious KFC Zinger Sauce recipe that tastes just like the original.
The secret? Garlic chili sauce.
This KFC Zinger Sauce recipe is super easy to make at home, and the great thing is – you can make it as hot or mild as you like.
So if you’re ready for a sauce that’ll make your tastebuds pop, read on for the best KFC Zinger Sauce recipe.
- 1 What Do You Need to Make KFC Zinger Sauce
- 2 How To Make KFC Zinger Sauce
- 3 Other Things To Consider When Making KFC Zinger Sauce
- 4 KFC Zinger Sauce Recipe
What Do You Need to Make KFC Zinger Sauce
Garlic adds a distinctive spicy taste that brings out the other flavors in your zinger sauce.
You can substitute garlic powder if you don’t have fresh cloves, but I wouldn’t recommend using garlic salt as its intense flavor will overpower your sauce.
Usually, I would recommend tomato sauce over ketchup, but for this recipe, it adds the perfect amount of sweetness to balance out the garlic chili sauce.
For more tomato flavor, add a teaspoon of tomato paste.
Homemade is always best for its full flavor and creaminess; however, feel free to use your favorite brand.
The rich taste of Helman’s is an excellent choice.
Also, if you like a more tangy flavor, you can substitute Miracle Whip for the mayo.
Garlic Chili Sauce
Garlic chili sauce is a popular condiment in Asian cooking.
It’s a blend of garlic, red chili peppers, and vinegar and adds the perfect amount of tang and spice.
You can substitute sriracha or chili paste if you don’t have garlic chili sauce.
Distilled White Vinegar
Gives the sauce its zing. I like distilled white vinegar for this recipe, although apple cider would be a good substitute.
Salt and Pepper
I recommend using coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Salt helps unlock the other flavors, but use it sparingly, so you don’t over-season your sauce.
- Cutting board and knife (to mince the garlic)
- Non-reactive mixing bowl
- Spoon or spatula
- Plastic squeeze bottle (optional)
How To Make KFC Zinger Sauce
Step One: First, peel and finely mince the fresh garlic.
Step Two: Next, add all the ingredients to a non-reactive mixing bowl and mix well.
Step Three: Taste your sauce and adjust any of the ingredients.
Step Four: Season with salt and pepper.
Recommended: pour your sauce into a plastic squeeze bottle to make it easy to serve.
Other Things To Consider When Making KFC Zinger Sauce
You Can Customize Your Sauce
If you love spice, you’ll love this KFC Zinger Sauce recipe. However, you can make some great-tasting variations with just a few easy changes.
For example, add soy or teriyaki sauce to make a tasty and tangy stir-fry.
For extra tang, add a tablespoon of prepared yellow mustard. Another great option is Dijon.
Adding lemon juice and some lemon zest will give your sauce even more zing.
While diced jalapenos will add some texture and a little more kick.
Or substitute harissa sauce for the garlic chili for an African-inspired zinger sauce. Two other great alternatives for garlic chili sauce are sriracha and Thai chili paste.
A little fresh ginger or ginger powder brightens up my zinger sauce.
Another great option is to add a teaspoon of honey for a sweeter-tasting sauce. The sweetness goes great with the tangy and spicy flavors.
Or add a teaspoon of smoked paprika if you like a smokier zinger sauce.
The bottom line is to have fun and try some different combinations. Who knows? You might discover a better-tasting sauce than the original.
What Can I Eat with KFC Zinger Sauce?
Up til now, the only way to taste this zesty sauce has been in a KFC Zinger Burger.
Which, by the way, is delicious!
However, after that first bite, I knew this sauce would go great with so much more.
Practically any dish can benefit from a little zing.
- This KFC Zinger Sauce recipe makes a spicy dipping sauce for fries and nuggets.
- And it goes without saying, it’s the perfect sauce for a spicy chicken sandwich.
- In fact, use it instead of mayo on all your favorite sandwiches.
- Makes the best Zinger Wings.
- A spicy dipping sauce for crispy wontons or fried egg rolls.
- Great with burgers.
- Drizzle over pizza. Wow!
- Mix with equal parts soy sauce for a spicy stir-fry.
- Add diced jalapenos for a zingy taco or burrito sauce.
- And a personal favorite – Zinger scrambled eggs. Now that’s a wake-up call!
Make More Than You Need!
If your home is anything like mine, you’ll never have enough of this spicy sauce.
So go ahead and double the recipe.
Extra sauce will stay fresh for a couple of weeks in the fridge, though it never seems to last more than a few days at my house.
KFC Zinger Sauce Recipe
Love the tangy creamy and spicy Zinger sauce that's full of flavor that's not too hot? Then you need this KFC Zinger Sauce Recipe! It's quick and easy to make and you only need 6 ingredients!
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic, peeled and minced
- ½ cup of ketchup
- ¼ cup of mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of garlic chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- First, peel and finely mince the fresh garlic.
- In a non-reactive mixing bowl, add the garlic, ketchup, mayonnaise, garlic chili sauce, and white vinegar.
- Mix well.
- Taste your sauce and adjust any of the ingredients.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour your sauce into a plastic squeeze bottle to make it easy to serve. (optional)
- Add a tablespoon of prepared yellow or Dijon mustard.
- Like it hot? Add a ¼ teaspoon of ground cayenne pepper or your favorite hot sauce.
- A teaspoon of onion powder will give your zinger sauce a savory flavor.
- To change the tang, you can substitute apple cider or red wine vinegar for the distilled white.
- Add a teaspoon of honey for a sweeter sauce that balances the heat.
- Add chopped cilantro or fresh parsley for color and earthy flavor.
- Substitute fresh lemon juice for the vinegar for a citrus zing.
- Diced jalapenos will give your sauce some south-of-border heat.
- You can substitute sriracha for the garlic chili sauce.
- Mix with equal parts soy sauce for a tasty stir-fry.
- Add a teaspoon of smoked paprika to give your zinger sauce a smokey flavor.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 70Total Fat: 2.5gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 170mgCarbohydrates: 4gProtein: 0g
Other KFC sauce guides you may want to read:
- What Sauce Does KFC Have?
- What Sauce Is On A Zinger Burger?
- KFC Coleslaw Sauce Recipe
- KFC Supercharger Sauce Recipe
Hello. I’m Jeremy – an experienced saucier who has worked in some of the top kitchens over the last few decades. With a love for sauces, food, and nutrition, I decided to create WeWantTheSauce. Here I share my knowledge and expertise; from ingredients and recipes to storage all the way through to recommendations for every sauce imaginable.