Do you love the Zesty Zing sauce down at White Castle?
Is plain ketchup just not doing it for you?
Then give this White Castle Zesty Zing Sauce recipe a try.
White Castle Zesty Zing sauce is a mayonnaise-horseradish sauce that packs the perfect amount of heat and tang that goes great with all your favorite deep-fried foods, especially onion rings.
And with so many requests for the recipe, I set out to recreate this delicious sauce.
First, I asked the kid behind the counter, but all he said was, “I dunno.”
But he did give me a couple of extra packets, so that’s something.
After reading the packets, they weren’t much help. The ingredients were mostly chemicals with names I could barely pronounce.
So I went to work in the kitchen to unlock the flavors of this highly addictive sauce.
Zest – check.
Zing – check.
After several tries, I almost had it.
But it was still missing something.
That’s when it hit me, the secret ingredient that unlocks all the flavors.
It had the perfect amount of umami flavor to bring everything together.
So if you’re ready for a bold new sauce, read on for the best White Castle Zesty Zing Sauce recipe you can make in minutes in the comfort of your kitchen.
- 1 What Do You Need To Make White Castle Zesty Zing Sauce
- 1.1 Ingredients
- 1.2 Equipment
- 2 How To Make White Castle Zesty Zing Sauce
- 3 Other Things To Consider When Making White Castle Zesty Zing Sauce
- 4 White Castle Zesty Zing Sauce Recipe
What Do You Need To Make White Castle Zesty Zing Sauce
Garlic adds a deliciously spicy, nutty flavor and intensifies the taste of your Zesty Zing sauce.
You can substitute ½ teaspoon of garlic powder if you don’t have fresh garlic available.
Fresh onion gives your sauce a crisp and tangy flavor.
If you don’t have fresh, you can use ½ teaspoon of onion powder.
Also, you can change the intensity of the flavor by using either a sweet onion (for a milder flavor) or a red (a more intense flavor).
I recommend using homemade. It’s creamier and tastes better.
However, feel free to use your favorite brand.
I don’t recommend using Miracle Whip for this recipe, as it will significantly change the flavor of your Zesty Zing sauce.
For the perfect touch of sweet tomato flavor.
In a pinch, you can substitute ketchup, but your sauce will have a sweeter taste so go easy on the honey.
It wouldn’t be Zesty Zing sauce without the horseradish.
Feel free to add as much as you like!
Adds a subtle tangy flavor.
You can change the taste by substituting different mustards, like Dijon or brown.
Apple Cider Vinegar
The acid balances the other flavors and gives your sauce some kick.
Ground Cayenne Pepper
Adds the perfect amount of heat.
Rounds out your Zesty Zing sauce’s tangy and spicy flavors.
Adds an exotic sweet, spicy flavor and deepens the color of your sauce.
Salt unlocks the other flavors.
The secret ingredient that I was missing.
Its savory umami flavor unlocks all the other flavors and adds depth to your Zesty Zing sauce.
Salt and Ground Black Pepper
Use sparingly to complement rather than overpower the other flavors.
- Knife and cutting board
- Non-reactive mixing bowl
- Spoon or spatula
- Blender or food processor (optional)
How To Make White Castle Zesty Zing Sauce
Step One: First, peel and finely chop the fresh garlic and onion.
Step Two: Next, add all the ingredients to a non-reactive mixing bowl and mix well.
Note: if you like a super smooth Zesty Zing sauce, pour it into a blender and pulse until it reaches your desired consistency.
Step Three: Be sure to taste your sauce and adjust any of the ingredients.
Step Four: Season with salt and pepper.
Step Five: Cover and chill in the fridge for at least an hour to allow the flavors to develop.
Step Six: Serve warmed or chilled.
Other Things To Consider When Making White Castle Zesty Zing Sauce
You Can Substitute Ingredients
You can change the flavor of this White Castle Zesty Zing Sauce recipe with just a few simple ingredients.
For example, make a Mediterranean-inspired Zesty Zing sauce by substituting plain Greek yogurt for the mayonnaise, red wine vinegar for the apple cider, and adding chopped fresh herbs like thyme, oregano, and rosemary.
Or, to give your sauce more zing, add a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice and some lemon zest.
Add a teaspoon of chopped dill pickles or pickle relish to change the tang and give your sauce some crunch.
Would you like a more intense-tasting sauce? Substitute your favorite barbeque sauce for the tomato sauce.
And for a thicker White Castle Zesty Zing sauce that goes great with all your favorite potato dishes, substitute sour cream for the mayonnaise.
You’re only limited by your imagination when it comes to delicious variations.
So have fun experimenting with your White Castle Zesty Zing Sauce recipe.
What Can I Eat With White Castle Zesty Zing Sauce?
This White Castle Zesty Zing Sauce recipe packs the right amount of acid and heat that goes perfectly with any deep-fried dish.
But don’t limit yourself. You’ll enjoy trying this versatile sauce with all your favorite foods.
- Of course, it’s the perfect dipping sauce for crispy onion rings.
- It also makes an excellent spread for roast beef sandwiches.
- Use it instead of ketchup to spice up your burgers.
- A delicious sauce for batter-fried fish and prawns.
- Serve with twice-baked potatoes for a delicious side that will have your guests asking for seconds.
- And a personal favorite, a delicious dipping sauce for sweet and juicy crab cakes!
Make More Than You Need!
With so many great uses, you’ll want to make sure you always have some White Castle Zesty Zing sauce in the fridge.
So go ahead and double the recipe.
Your extra sauce will stay fresh in the fridge for up to a week in an airtight container.
But like most mayonnaise-based sauces, this Zesty Zing sauce doesn’t freeze well.
- 1 clove of fresh garlic, peeled and minced
- ½ tablespoon white onion, finely diced
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- First, peel and finely chop the fresh garlic and onion.
- In a non-reactive mixing bowl, add the mayonnaise, garlic, onion, apple cider vinegar, ground cayenne pepper, honey, paprika, salt, and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well.
- Note: if you like a super smooth Zesty Zing sauce, pour it into a blender and pulse until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Taste your sauce and adjust any of the ingredients.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Chill in the fridge for at least an hour to allow the flavors to develop.
- Serve it warmed or chilled.
- Like more heat? Add another pinch (or two) of ground cayenne pepper.
- Substitute smoked paprika for a deliciously smokey zing sauce.
- Use a sweet onion for a milder onion flavor or a red onion if you like a more intense flavor.
- Add some fresh herbs, like thyme or oregano.
- If you want more tomato flavor, add ½ tablespoon of tomato paste.
- You can change the tang by changing the mustard - Dijon and brown mustard are excellent options.
- Substitute your favorite barbeque sauce for the tomato sauce for a more intense flavor.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 120Total Fat: 11gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 190mgCarbohydrates: 4gProtein: 0g
Other White Castle sauce guides you may want to see:
Hello, I’m Jeremy, a sauce enthusiast and taste trailblazer! My endless pursuit of new flavors has led me on a journey to master sauce making at home, along with try out a range of exciting brands and sauce offerings. Now I share my recipes, tips and recommendations on WeWantTheSauce to help fellow foodies find the perfect sauces.