Have you been introduced to Aurora sauce – perhaps it’s been recommended to you or you have seen it in a recipe, but are not sure what it actually is? Well, today, I’m going to be running through all you are going to want to know.
So, what is Aurora Sauce? Aurora sauce is a creamy tomato-based and vibrant red sauce. It is often served with eggs, vegetables, fish, chicken, and pasta dishes. It is made by adding tomato puree (paste) to one of the following french compound sauces; béchamel, velouté, suprême sauce, or Allemande.
Translated, this sauce simply means “sunrise” in French.
And it’s a sauce that can be made in a variety of different ways depending on your preferences.
As we shall now take a look at below!
What Is Aurora Sauce Made Of?
Aurora sauce is typically made of tomato puree (paste), a french compound sauce (béchamel, velouté, suprême sauce, or allemande), and other vegetables, herbs, and spices. Onion, garlic, and butter are all commonly used.
In truth, this sauce can vary quite dramatically depending on the recipe you follow.
Besides, those French compound sauces, two of which are ‘French Mother Sauces‘ (in other words, popular starting sauces) are quite different:
- Béchamel – a sauce made from white roux and milk,
- Velouté – a savory sauce that is made from a roux and a light stock,
- Suprême – a sauce made from Velouté, but then thickened with cream,
- Allemande – a sauce made from Velouté, but thickened with egg yolks, heavy cream, and seasoned with lemon juice.
So as you can see, sometimes Aurora will have milk, stock, cream, or egg yolks!
What Does Aurora Sauce Taste Like?
Aurora sauce is typically sweet, creamy, and somewhat nutty in flavor. Although, the exact tastes and flavors will vary depending on the French compound sauce used.
At the same time, the taste will largely be influenced by the addition of herbs and spices, and their proportions.
For instance, some Aurora sauces are quite garlicy, others can be a bit more herby.
What To Eat Aurora Sauce With?
Aurora sauce is best and is often served with eggs, vegetables, fish, chicken, and pasta dishes.
But there are various different recipes that this sauce can be used for.
For instance, a broccoli pasta bake is one such example of a pasta dish this sauce works particularly well with.
It’ also pairs very well with white fish too, like cod and haddock.
- 1 Cup of Tomato Puree (paste)
- 3 Tablespoons of Butter
- 1/4 small white onion, diced.
- 3 Tablespoons of All-Purpose Flour
- 1 quart milk
- 1 bay leaf
To begin you will need to make the Béchamel sauce.
- Add the butter and onion to a large saucepan and warm over medium heat. Add a sprinkling of salt and cook until the onions start to brown.
- Add the flour to the pan and combine with the butter and onions. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in your milk and bring it to a gentle boil. Keep string to prevent burning on the bottom of the pan.
- Once thickened and the sauce has come to a boil, remove from the heat.
You should now have a Béchamel sauce.
To make the Aurora sauce:
- Stir in the tomato puree, add back to the heat, and simmer for a further 1-2 minutes. That's it, you now have a freshly made Aurora sauce ready to serve. Or you can let it cool, cover it and add it to the fridge for later.
Aurora sauce is essentially a sauce made from another sauce.
It’s incredibly delicious and it pairs particularly well with fish and pasta.
So do give it a try; you don’t need many ingredients and it should only take you 5-10 minutes.
It really is something quite different.
Hi there. I’m Jeremy – a passionate food technologist with several decades in the food industry. With a love for sauces, food, and nutrition, I decided to create WeWantTheSauce. Here I share my experience, knowledge, and recommendations; from ingredients and recipes to storage all the way through to nutrition for every sauce imaginable.