What is sweet Thai chili sauce?
Some call it the king of Thai sauces: others, only the prince.
While in Thailand, they call it Nam Chim Kai – Thai for dipping sauce. Duh!
However, no matter what you call it, you’ll love its incredible blend of exotic flavors.
This Hello Fresh Sweet Thai Chili sauce recipe packs the perfect amount of sweet, heat, tang, and spice all in one delicious sauce.
Made with red chilis, garlic, ginger, honey, and vinegar, this sauce is super versatile.
Use it as a dipping sauce, a marinade, in stir-fries, or even as an exotic salad dressing.
And the great thing is that this recipe is super easy to make at home.
So read on to learn how to make a great-tasting Hello Fresh Sweet Thai Chili Sauce recipe that will add a burst of Thai flavor to all your favorite dishes.
- 1 What Do You Need To Make Hello Fresh Sweet Thai Chili Sauce
- 2 How To Make Hello Fresh Sweet Thai Chili Sauce
- 3 Other Things To Consider When Making Hello Fresh Sweet Thai Chili Sauce
- 4 Hello Fresh Sweet Thai Chili Sauce Recipe
What Do You Need To Make Hello Fresh Sweet Thai Chili Sauce
Gives the sauce its sweetness and balances out the spicy tang.
You can substitute 1 cup of white sugar if you don’t have honey available.
Intensifies the flavor of the Thai chilis.
Adds a sweet, peppery flavor.
Used in Thai cooking instead of soy sauce for that traditional Thai flavor.
You can substitute two tablespoons of soy sauce if you don’t have fish sauce.
Gives the sauce its tangy flavor.
Feel free to substitute apple cider vinegar for rice vinegar.
Helps unlock the other flavors, but be sure you taste it so you don’t over-season your sauce.
I recommend using coarse sea salt instead of regular table salt for this recipe.
Adds some spicy heat.
Thai Chili Paste
Critical for a great-tasting Sweet Thai Chili sauce.
Use your favorite brand, or do like I do and make your own.
Grind fresh Thai chilis in a food processor or blender until they make a thick paste. Voila! Instant Thai chili paste.
Acts as a thickening agent.
I recommend using freshly ground black pepper.
- Cutting board and knife (to mince the garlic)
- Food processor or blender (if you make your own Thai chili paste)
- Small bowl (to make the cornstarch slurry)
- Medium saucepan
- Spoon or spatula
- Stovetop or other heat source
How To Make Hello Fresh Sweet Thai Chili Sauce
Step One: First, peel and mince the fresh garlic and ginger.
Step Two: Next, add all the ingredients except the chili paste and cornstarch to a medium saucepan under low to medium heat. Then, bring to a simmer while stirring occasionally.
Step Three: Allow the mixture to simmer until the honey dissolves, and the mixture has slightly reduced approximately three to five minutes.
Step Four: Next, add the chile paste and mix well.
Step Five: Allow it to continue simmering for two to three minutes while stirring frequently.
Step Six: Taste your sauce and adjust any ingredients.
Step Seven: In a small bowl, add the cornstarch to two to three tablespoons of cold water and mix well until there aren’t any lumps.
Step Eight: Then, add the cornstarch slurry to the saucepan. Increase the heat to bring the sauce to a boil while constantly stirring.
Step Nine: Next, reduce the heat and let it simmer for another three to five minutes or until the sauce reaches your desired consistency. Your sauce should be thick, translucent, and shiny.
Step Ten: Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Step Eleven: Allow your sauce to cool slightly before serving or chill in the fridge.
Other Things To Consider When Making Hello Fresh Sweet Thai Chili Sauce
What Can I Eat With Hello Fresh Sweet Thai Chili Sauce?
Hello Fresh Sweet Thai Chili makes a great sauce for all your favorite Thai dishes.
But why limit yourself?
This versatile sauce packs the perfect amount of sweetness and spice that will make all your favorite foods taste even better.
- An excellent dip for finger foods and fresh vegetables.
- Makes a great marinade for chicken or seafood.
- The flavors pair well with all kinds of grilled fish.
- A delicious dipping sauce for fresh spring and egg rolls.
- Use it to make delicious sweet and spicy prawns.
- Serve with game-day wings.
- Add extra fish sauce for a delicious stir fry with a spicy Thai kick.
- Thai burgers, anyone?
- Drizzle over grilled salmon or tuna.
- Makes a sweet and spicy, exotic salad dressing.
Make More Than You Need
With so many delicious uses, you’ll want to ensure you always have some on hand.
So go ahead and double up the recipe.
Hello Fresh Sweet Thai Chili sauce will stay fresh in the fridge for up to a month.
I always have a jar ready for whenever I’m craving that sweet and spicy Thai flavor!
- 8 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and finely minced
- ½ cup of honey
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- ½ cup of rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of ground cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 tablespoons chili paste
- 1 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- First, peel and mince the fresh garlic and ginger.
- Then, add the minced garlic, ginger, honey, fish sauce, rice vinegar, salt, cayenne pepper, and water to a medium saucepan under medium heat and bring to a low boil.
- Reduce the heat and allow the mixture to simmer until the honey is dissolved and the mixture slightly reduces while occasionally stirring - approximately three to five minutes.
- Next, add the chili paste to the sauce and mix well.
- Allow it to simmer for two to three minutes, stirring frequently.
- Taste your sauce and adjust any of the ingredients.
- Mix the cornstarch and cold water in a small bowl until there aren't any lumps.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the saucepan. Increase the heat and bring the sauce to a boil while constantly stirring.
- Then reduce the heat and let it simmer for another three to five minutes until the sauce reaches your desired consistency. Your sauce should be thick, translucent, and shiny.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Allow your sauce to cool slightly before serving or chill in the fridge.
- Make your own Thai chili paste! Grind fresh Thai chilis in a food processor or blender until they make a coarse paste. For less heat, remove the seeds before grinding.
- You can substitute 1 cup of refined white sugar for the honey.
- Feel free to use apple cider vinegar to change the tang.
- Use some lime zest or a tablespoon of fresh lime juice to give your sauce some zing.
- Adding two tablespoons of sherry will give your Sweet Thai Chili Sauce a more intense flavor.
- Or add two tablespoons of fresh orange or pineapple juice for a sweet citrus taste.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 130Total Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 450mgCarbohydrates: 30gProtein: 1g
Other sauces from Hello Fresh you may need the recipe for:
Hello, I’m Jeremy, a sauce enthusiast and taste trailblazer! My endless pursuit of new flavors has led me on a journey to master sauce making at home, along with try out a range of exciting brands and sauce offerings. Now I share my recipes, tips and recommendations on WeWantTheSauce to help fellow foodies find the perfect sauces.