Are you heading down to Rubio’s for some coastal-inspired Mexican food? Are you wondering what sauces they serve along with their food? Well, here are all of the different options that are available.
So, what sauces does Rubio’s have? Rubio’s offers nine different sauces (including salsas). These are Picante Salsa, Mild Salsa, Tomatillo Salsa, Roasted Chiptole Salsa, Creamy Chipotle, Jalapeno Citrus Hot Sauce, Diablo Hot Sauce and Rubio’s Signature White Sauce. They also offer Salsa Fresca, which is more like a relish than a sauce but can be used as and is included on the menu, as a condiment.
So you have a fair bit of choice.
All of which pair wonderfully with the various different menu items.
Whether you are looking to add flavor to a salad, bowl, plate, taco, burrito or quesadillas.
But what are each of these like?
Let us now look at each and every one of them!
Rubios Sauce Overview
You can expect the following from each Rubio sauce:
- Picante Salsa – made from ripe red tomatoes, and blended with toasted, crush red chilis. Pairs particularly nicely with fish tacos.
- Mild Salsa – made from vine-ripened tomatoes, onions, cilantro and a small amount of jalapeño chili, this rich fresh sauce is incredibly versatile and can be used with almost any menu item.
- Tomatillo Salsa – made with tomatillos, jalapeños, cilantro, garlic, and onion. It is green in color, has a subtle heat and a fresh, light taste.
- Roasted Chiptole Salsa – made from roasted tomatoes, smoky red and jalapeño chiles, and lime juice. This is a rich salsa that also pairs with almost anything on the menu. Although it pairs particularly well with chicken and steak menu items.
- Rubio’s White Sauce – Rubio’s signature sauce. Light, cool. tangy and creamy. It pairs very well alongside another salsa or balances chilis found in the food.
- Creamy Chipotle Sauce – a variation of the signature white sauce above with added adobe chilis for a spicy kick.
- Jalapeno Citrus Hot Sauce – a hot sauce made from Jalapeno, poblano and serrano chiles blended with tomatillos, lime and pineapple juice for a tangy twist.
- Diablo Hot Sauce – a spicy blend of red indio chiles, chiles de arbol, tomatillos and garlic.
- Salsa Fresca – A chunky salsa, made from diced Roma tomatoes, onions, cilantro, jalapeno, Serrano chiles, lime zest, oregano, and a pinch of sea salt.
Does Rubio’s Sell Their Salsa?
Rubio’s does not sell their salsa. They are only available in restaurants and at the salsa bar.
At the same time, salsas are free to order whether you are dining in, or ordering a takeaway.
For the latter, you’ll find when you are ordering online, adding salsa to your cart does not add any cost.
That being said, the signature white sauce does often cost at an additional $0.50 per serving.
Four ‘sauces’, five ‘salsas’.
That’s the way to view the condiment offerings at Rubio’s.
All are great, and all are worth a try (if you can handle those that pack a bit of heat).
Nevertheless, the good news is that you should be able to find a sauce, or a salsa, for your particular order and meal.
Rubio’s offers five different salsas, all of which are unique and offer something a little different. Some are mild, others spicy, and there is even chunky salsa available.
Fresca sauce at Rubio’s is a chunky salsa that is made in-house fresh daily. It is made from diced Roma tomatoes, onions, cilantro, jalapeno and Serrano chiles, lime zest, oregano, and a pinch of sea salt.
Guacamole at Rubio’s does not have onions. Instead, it is made fresh with Hass avocados, natural sea salt, garlic, and lime juice.
Hi there. I’m Jeremy – a passionate food technologist with several decades in the food industry. With a love for sauces, food, and nutrition, I decided to create WeWantTheSauce. Here I share my experience, knowledge, and recommendations; from ingredients and recipes to storage all the way through to nutrition for every sauce imaginable.