If you’re serving burgers, then you need a secret sauce.
Think about it – every burger chain has its secret (or not-so-secret) burger sauce – from McDonald’s to Burger King and even your local mom-and-pop burger joint.
Unfortunately, most taste like Thousand Island dressing with some pickle relish thrown in.
Now don’t get me wrong, I like pickles as much as the next guy.
But there are times I just don’t want them on my burgers.
That’s where this Jack in the Box Secret Sauce recipe comes in.
Jack in the Box uses onion instead of pickles in their creamy secret sauce, which makes the Bonus Jack taste so good!
And now you won’t have to run to Jack in the Box the next time you’re craving that savory goodness.
With this Jack in the Box Secret Sauce recipe, you can make an authentic-tasting secret sauce right in the comfort of your own kitchen.
Plus, you won’t need any unique ingredients or special equipment to make it. You probably already have everything you’ll need in your fridge and pantry.
And it’s so easy to make, you can have it ready in minutes.
So if you prefer onions over pickle relish on your burgers, you’ll love this Jack in the Box Secret Sauce recipe.
- 1 What Do You Need To Make Jack In The Box Secret Sauce
- 2 How To Make Jack In The Box Secret Sauce
- 3 Other Things To Consider When Making Jack In The Box Secret Sauce
- 4 Jack In The Box Secret Sauce Recipe
What Do You Need To Make Jack In The Box Secret Sauce
Garlic gives your sauce a spicy, nutty flavor that goes great with the other flavors.
You can substitute a teaspoon of garlic powder if you don’t have fresh garlic.
But avoid using garlic salt, or it will overpower your sauce.
I always recommend using homemade – nothing else compares to its creaminess and great taste.
However, feel free to use your favorite brand.
And if you like your secret sauce tangy, go ahead and substitute Miracle Whip for the mayo.
Adds the perfect amount of sweetness and tomato flavor.
If you like more tomato flavor, add half a tablespoon of tomato paste.
Prepared Yellow Mustard
Mustard adds a nice tang.
You can change the flavor of your sauce by changing the mustard – Dijon, brown, and honey mustard are all excellent choices.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Vinegar gives your sauce some tang.
The umami and savory flavors enhance the taste and add depth to your secret sauce.
I would usually use fresh onions, but for this recipe, onion powder gives this Jack in the Box Secret Sauce recipe the perfect amount of savory onion flavor.
If you’re a purist, go ahead and substitute a small diced onion for the onion powder.
The hot sauce packs just the right amount of heat.
I like Tabasco sauce for this recipe, but feel free to use your favorite brand.
A1 Steak Sauce
Adds a nice blend of sour and salty taste to your secret sauce.
Salt and Pepper
A little salt and pepper will help unlock the other flavors. But use sparingly, so you don’t overseason your sauce.
- Non-reactive mixing bowl
- Spoon or spatula
How To Make Jack In The Box Secret Sauce
This Jack in the Box Secret Sauce recipe is super easy to make.
Step One: Just place all the ingredients in a non-reactive mixing bowl and mix well.
Step Two: Taste your sauce and adjust any ingredients until you get your desired flavor.
Step Three: Season with salt and pepper.
Step Four: Chill in the fridge for at least an hour to allow the flavors to develop.
Step Five: Serve warmed or chilled.
Other Things To Consider When Making Jack In The Box Secret Sauce
You Can Customize Your Secret Sauce
This Jack in the Box Secret Sauce recipe makes a delicious savory burger sauce.
But with just a couple of easy changes, you can create some great-tasting versions.
For example, add chopped dill pickles or pickle relish to give your secret sauce some tang and texture.
Or substitute balsamic vinegar for the apple cider for a sweeter-tasting Italian-inspired sauce.
If you like it hot, add another teaspoon of hot sauce or a couple of pinches of ground cayenne pepper.
Or, for a sweeter secret sauce, add a teaspoon of honey.
To change the heat, experiment with different hot sauces, like Tapatio or Sriracha.
You’re only limited by your imagination when it comes to discovering delicious new flavors.
So go ahead and experiment. Who knows? You might discover a version that tastes even better than the original.
What Can I Eat with Jack In The Box Secret Sauce?
With its delicious blend of savory and tangy flavors, this Jack in the Box Secret Sauce recipe makes the perfect burger sauce.
However, you’ll also enjoy dipping french fries and crispy potato wedges in its creamy goodness.
The flavors go great with batter-fried fish and prawns.
Or use it as a savory sandwich spread rather than plain mayo.
Make More Than You Need!
This Jack in the Box Secret Sauce recipe tastes better the longer it sits.
So go ahead and double the recipe.
Extra sauce will stay fresh in the fridge for up to two weeks in an airtight container.
However, like most mayonnaise-based sauces, I wouldn’t recommend freezing it.
Jack In The Box Secret Sauce Recipe
If you love Japreparationck In The Box Secret sauce, then you need to follow this recipe. With only 10 ingredients and simple preparation, you'll have that creamy and savory secret sauce prepared and ready to use in no time!
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic, finely minced
- ½ cup of mayonnaise
- ¼ cup of ketchup
- 2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco hot sauce (optional)
- ½ teaspoon A1 Steak Sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- First, peel and finely mince the fresh garlic.
- Then add the garlic, mayonnaise, ketchup, yellow mustard, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, Tabasco sauce, and A1 steak sauce to a non-reactive bowl and mix well.
- Taste your sauce and adjust any of the ingredients.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Chill in the fridge for at least an hour to allow the flavors to develop.
- Serve warmed or chilled.
- You can substitute your favorite hot sauce for the Tabasco sauce.
- Like it hot? Add another teaspoon of hot sauce or a ¼ teaspoon of ground cayenne pepper.
- Don't have fresh? Use garlic powder instead of the fresh garlic, but reduce the amount, so you don't overpower the other flavors.
- Change the vinegar to change the tang - Balsamic vinegar will deepen the color and give you a sweeter-tasting special sauce.
- Add chopped dill pickles or pickle relish for more tang and some added texture.
- Use one medium fresh diced onion instead of the onion powder for fresh flavor.
- Add fresh herbs, like thyme and oregano, for more flavor.
Other related Jack In The Box guides you may want to check out:
- What Sauces Does Jack In The Box Have?
- Jack In The Box Good Good Sauce Recipe
- Jack In The Box Taco Sauce Recipe
- Jack In The Box Teriyaki Sauce Recipe
Hello. I’m Jeremy – an experienced saucier who has worked in some of the top kitchens over the last few decades. With a love for sauces, food, and nutrition, I decided to create WeWantTheSauce. Here I share my knowledge and expertise; from ingredients and recipes to storage all the way through to recommendations for every sauce imaginable.