Are you looking for a delicious barbeque sauce that’s easy to make at home?
Then this Chick-fil-A BBQ sauce recipe is the perfect choice.
Chick-fil-A BBQ sauce is a savory-sweet blend of tomatoes, apple cider vinegar, garlic, onion, honey, and spices.
This barbeque sauce will add the perfect flavor to backyard burgers, grilled meats, barbeque chicken, and even eggs.
In addition, this recipe makes the perfect base to create other delicious bbq sauces, whether you fancy a Hawaiian-inspired pineapple barbeque sauce to a spicy south-of-the-border sauce that goes great with grilled fish.
And don’t worry. You won’t need any unique ingredients or special equipment to make this great tasting sauce.
Plus, you can have it ready to serve in 20 minutes.
So read on to learn how to make a great Chick-fil-A BBQ sauce recipe that will add a burst of flavor to all your favorite dishes.
- 1 What Do You Need To Make Chick-fil-A BBQ Sauce
- 2 How To Make Chick-fil-A BBQ Sauce
- 3 Other Things To Consider When Making Chick-fil-A BBQ Sauce
- 4 Chick-fil-A BBQ Sauce Recipe
What Do You Need To Make Chick-fil-A BBQ Sauce
Adds the right amount of rich tomato flavor and sweetness and is the base for Chick-fil-A BBQ sauce.
For more tomato flavor, add a tablespoon of tomato paste.
Intensifies the flavor. You can substitute garlic powder.
However, make sure you don’t use garlic salt, which will overpower your sauce.
Deepens the flavor of the sauce. You can substitute onion powder to save time.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Gives the sauce its tangy vinegar flavor.
Gives the sauce a richer flavor than plain white sugar.
Gives the sauce more sweetness and balances the tomato and vinegar flavors.
You can substitute molasses instead of honey if you prefer a deeper flavor.
Adds a touch of exotic spice and deepens the color.
Feel free to use smoked paprika if you want a smokier bbq sauce.
Adds a touch of savory flavor.
Adds another dimension of tanginess.
Feel free to substitute different mustards, like Dijon or whole grain, to change the flavor.
Salt and Black Pepper
I recommend using coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Salt helps unlock the other flavors, but be sure you taste it, so you don’t over-season your sauce.
- Cutting board
- Medium saucepan
- Spoon or spatula
- Stovetop or other heat source
How To Make Chick-fil-A BBQ Sauce
Chick-fil-A BBQ Sauce is quick and easy to make.
Step One: First, peel and finely mince the garlic and dice the fresh onion.
Step Two: Then, add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil to a medium saucepan under low to medium heat.
Step Three: When the oil is hot, add the garlic and onions and saute until the onion is soft and the garlic is fragrant. It’s okay if they brown a little, but don’t let them burn.
Step Four: Next, add the rest of the ingredients to the saucepan and mix well.
Step Five: Allow your barbeque sauce to simmer for fifteen minutes or until it has thickened, stirring occasionally.
Step Six: Taste your sauce, adjust any of the ingredients to reach your desired flavor, and season with salt and pepper.
Step Seven: Allow the sauce to come to room temperature or chill it in the fridge.
Other Things To Consider When Making Chick-fil-A BBQ Sauce
A Great Base for Making Other Barbeque Sauces
This recipe makes a great-tasting Chick-fil-A BBQ sauce. But why stop there?
I like to use this recipe as a base to make a variety of different barbeque sauces, depending on my mood.
- Spice up your barbeque sauce with a pinch (or two) of ground cayenne pepper or a couple of teaspoons of your favorite hot sauce.
- Add orange or pineapple juice for a great citrus flavor that pairs well with grilled chicken and fish.
- Feel free to substitute smoked paprika for the paprika or use a few drops of liquid smoke for a smokier barbeque sauce full of flavor.
- Change the vinegar. I like to use red wine vinegar instead of apple cider to enhance the flavor.
- Or substitute Dijon or your favorite prepared mustard for the yellow mustard to change the tangy flavor.
You’ll find that adding a few extra ingredients can create new and delicious variations.
What Can I Eat With Chick-fil-A BBQ Sauce
Chick-fil-A BBQ sauce is a versatile bbq sauce that goes great with all your backyard favorites.
- Use it to make an incredible-tasting pulled pork.
- Slather it over bbq ribs.
- Makes an excellent meatloaf glaze.
- Spice up grilled chicken.
- Goes great on burgers and dogs.
- Use it to give your traditional morning eggs a wake-up call.
- The delicious, milder flavor of Chick-fil-A BBQ sauce pairs well with an ice-cold IPA or Pale Ale.
Make More Than You Need
With so many delicious uses, you’ll want to ensure you always have some on hand.
So go ahead and double up the recipe. Chick-fil-A BBQ sauce stays fresh in the fridge for up to two weeks, though I wouldn’t recommend freezing it.
The mild yet full flavor of Chick-fil-A BBQ sauce has made it my go-to barbeque sauce for burgers and barbeque chicken.
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely minced
- ½ medium white or yellow onion, diced
- 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 cup ketchup
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and finely mince the garlic. Dice the onion.
- In a medium saucepan, add the olive oil and heat under low to medium heat.
- When ready, add the garlic and onions to the oil and saute until the onion is soft and the garlic is fragrant. It's okay if they turn a little brown, but you don't want them to burn or char.
- Next, add the ketchup, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, honey, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, and yellow mustard to the saucepan and mix well.
- Allow your barbeque sauce to simmer for fifteen minutes or until it has thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Taste your sauce and adjust any of the ingredients to reach your desired flavor.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Allow the sauce to come to room temperature or chill in the fridge.
- Serve warm or chilled.
- Want a hotter bbq sauce? Add some cayenne pepper or your favorite hot sauce.
- Add a tablespoon of soy sauce for a flavorful bbq sauce that goes great with Korean-style ribs.
- Mix in a tablespoon (or two) of your favorite whiskey or bourbon while simmering. Yum!
- You can add your favorite fresh herbs, like thyme or oregano, to give your sauce a richer flavor.
- Add a teaspoon of ground cumin.
- Use a sweet onion instead of yellow or white for a milder onion flavor.
- Give your sauce a south-of-the-border flavor by adding a tablespoon of tequila, one tablespoon of lime juice, and fresh chopped cilantro.
- Add diced jalapenos instead of cayenne for a different kind of spiciness.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 75Total Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 450mgCarbohydrates: 12gProtein: 0g
Hello. I’m Jeremy – an experienced saucier who has worked in some of the top kitchens over the last few decades. With a love for sauces, food, and nutrition, I decided to create WeWantTheSauce. Here I share my knowledge and expertise; from ingredients and recipes to storage all the way through to recommendations for every sauce imaginable.