Have you been recommended or seen a recipe with Blush sauce? Wondering what it is, what it is made of, and whether or not you should give it a go? Well, here is all you are going to want to know.
So, what is Blush sauce? Blush sauce is a tomato-cream sauce that is often served over pasta. It typically also contains white wine and garlic, among other herbs and seasonings. Some recipes will also call for heavy cream, others milk. This makes it a lightish pink in color, hence the name.
Sometimes this crowd-pleasing sauce is served with spaghetti, other times a penne.
Either way, this delicious sauce is generally quick and easy to pull together.
Let us quickly look at the average recipe, before turning to how to make some should you decide you do want to try it!
What Is Blush Sauce Made Of?
Blush sauce is made of crushed, diced, or canned tomatoes, white wine, heavy cream, or milk, onions, fresh herb (such as basil), and garlic. Cheese is often served with Blush sauce as a garnish.
Of course, this is just your typical, average recipe.
And it does differ and depend somewhat on the recipe you are following.
For instance, sometimes Italian Seasoning (a herb mix) is recommended, other times you might find red pepper in the ingredient list too.
Either way, the base of this sauce will always be tomatoes and cream/dairy-based products.
That’s what allows for the dilution to create the pink color, for which this sauce is named after.
And to get from red (from the tomatoes) to pink, you need a white.
How To Make Blush Sauce
The following is a simple, traditional, and light blush sauce recipe.
- 2 Cups of Freshly Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- ¼ Cup of Diced Onion
- ¼ Cup of White Wine.
- ¼ Cup of Heavy Cream
- 2 Tablespoons of Chopped Basil
Step One: Add the olive oil to a pan and warm over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the onions and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes until they become soft.
Step Two: Add the white wine and stir in. Turn the heat down and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes.
Step Three: Add your tomatoes, stir in, and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Step Four: Take the sauce off the heat, stir in the cream, and chop basil leaves.
Step Five: Mix into your freshly cooked pasta.
- It is best to use fresh tomatoes, and dice them finely with a knife. Source tomatoes in season. You can always use canned tomatoes if not – but they do not tend to be as flavorsome. If you do use canned tomatoes, use an equal portion size.
- Be sure to add the cream right at the end, off of the heat to prevent curdling.
- For lower fat Blush sauce, use half and half milk instead of cream.
- Opt for fresh basil if you can, otherwise dried basil can be used instead. If you opt for dried herbs add these earlier in the cooking process, around step 1-2.
Blush sauce; the incredibly simple yet effective tomato cream sauce.
If it is one thing, then it is this; comforting.
It’s a sauce that tends to go down very well, and you can make it relatively easy and without many ingredients.
So give this a try and see for yourself.
Besides, you can mix it into any type of pasta.
It’s great like that.